Friday, September 30, 2005

Stiiiiiiill In Copenhagen

Hello again, world.

And welcome back to the inner-workings of my brain. I apologize that my posts have not been more prolific, but I find myself torn between living the experience and making a record of it - and my journal writing alone has been so profuse that it's been hard to also keep on on letters AND a blog.

So, what has happened since my last entry? Well, we had an entire weekend off, which meant hitting up Copenhagen with some of the team. I'm glad that they, like me, are dedicated to their season and thus only "go out" once in a blue moon, because Copenhagen doesn't even start to party until around 1am...that's bedtime, kids, bedtime.

Though we didn't have any games Saturday, I did get back into the swing of the "hockey life" with Bjarne, spending all day at the rink watching his son's game, as well as some older teams. I must say that though hockey is relatively new to Denmark (it's only begun to be popular in the last 50 years), they have a lot of talent. I was really impressed even by the 13 year-old boys. I think, like everything, they take sports very seriously, which has led to such a high level of talent. And if watching all day wasn't enough, we went back to the rink for the "ice disco." And I thought my public skating days were over in 8th grade! But it felt good to be a kid again and skate aimlessly, in tune with nothing but my own stride.

Sunday was a beautiful day, so I headed once again into Copenhagen and found "The Little Mermaid Statue" (a famous tourist sight, due to Hans Christian Anderson's fame here). Like most people told me, it was a tad anticlimactic, but the seaside was beautiful and I just kept stumbling over one ancient building after another, including the palace. I swear, I'll put up a link to my pictures soon.

Julie (who is really becoming my little sister here) and I headed into the closing night festivities at Tivoli that night after getting free tickets from someone. Tivoli is a rather small amusement park, but is filled with gorgeous gardens and was all lit up at night. She made me ride the big "tower drop" ride to get the "best view of Copenhagen," which was beautiful, but after bungee jumping, the drop left a little to be desired. Though we had gone in to see the band Cashmir play, she got tired and had to go to school the next morning, so we headed back before the big fireworks display (couldn't say my tired body minded, though). If anyone wants to come visit, I recommend a little before Christmas time, when Tivoli reopens for a big ol' winter festival. (hint hint).

This past week has been a strange mix of emotions and activity. It's amazing that I can go through such highs when discovering new sights and playing hockey, to experiencing the real sense of solitue that comes with the Watson journey (watching the informational videos on their website and knowing that the loneliness is part of the experience has been helpful). I have tried my best to go into the city and explore, but on game days I'd rather not tire my legs out, so I've been reading and writing here at the house, though having trouble really focusing. The hockey is terriffic, though. Spinning is so much better when you haven't just traveled for 8 hours, and each time I step on the ice I feel a little bit more like I know how to play hockey. We had a game Wednesday and won 13-1 (they were right about the competition in the women's league being uneven, but that is what I am studying!); I had two goals, one was on a feed to the middle as I cut in and the other was a slapper from the blue line. We have 3 games this weekend and I will let you know how those go.

And it is playing hockey that I am reaffirmed of my purpose. Though days can get lonely and I can hit lows, when I am out on the ice, I know why I turned down going to Galway: I love hockey. Though communication with the girls can be difficult, somehow language barriers and inhibitions subside when we are on the ice or sitting next to one another on the bench. No matter what happens, I have hockey and that is what matters. And, whatsmore, I have developed a number of sincerely strong bonds already (i.e. Bjarne and Julie) and those too will carry me through.

I am a bit torn now, however. Somehow, I have made an e-contact with a coach (originally from Chicago) in Belgium, who has 4 girls on his team and may know of a women's team playing out of Leuven, a city somewhat close to Brussels. Not having many games in December or most of January, I am now enticed by the idea of heading to Brussels to help him coach, perhaps play, and investigate why women's hockey is NOT succeeding in Belgium. I think my desire is a mix of the lonely days here and the fear I will tire of Copenhagen, as well as knowing that Belgium is originally where I intended to be. Maybe I should put up a poll to see where my readers would like me.

What else? Oh yes, tried my first smoggrebread (traditional Danish lunch of and open faced meat sandwich on dark Rye bread), which Bjarne brought me and was absolutely delicious! He is a great cook from cooking in the fire house and I think I may fill some of my time with having him give me lessons! He also found my weakness: chocolate! Last weekend at his house it was chokoladdesklpaddle, a chocolate turtle (kind of like a Cadbury egg, but better), and at lunch the other day he brought us chocolate cream pie-like cookies -- pie heaven is right.

So, gonna read today, work on my creative writing (I am forcing myself to begin writing exercises), and then 3 games this weekend!

And now, some notes to my readers:
1. For all those who want to post comments, one does not need to sign up for a blog to post a comment; one must simply check the anonymous box and, to sign the post, just put one's name at the end of the comment.
2. Thank you for the posts, they make me happy.
3. My stick bag is NOT "superfluous," "Bee" (if that is your real name). It was indeed necessary, as I needed to check the sticks on the plane.
4. My green stick rocks.
5. There are lots of people dressed up like spiderman and other various characters parading around the street and screaming right now and I'm not sure what the hell is going on, but they did wake me up at 8:30 am. Perhaps I shall investigate.

Peace and much love,
Meghan

3 comments:

cOm said...

No - You need to enable the anonymous post option. As is now there is only one identity, that of "blogger", ok?

Jerk.

I love you.

Rachelle said...

I have nothing to hide! I will step into the light and refuse to be anonymous!
I like you so much that I signed up for a blog just to post to this even though I already have one. You eloquent expression of your love of hockey has reignited my own love and inspired me to pay 300 buckaroos and join the Nads team here. Perhaps you can include that in your exploration of women's hockey--a woman on the Nads team. (Our logo is a stick with two strategically placed pucks.)
Your blog is much more interesting than mine. I must get to my entry on mircocontrollers. PS Your titles are winning so far since no one else entered.

Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying your entries very much
Meghan, but something is definitely
missing: an assessment of Danish beers.
Prof. Cull